Breaking Top Featured Content:
The Mercury provides news and fun every single day—but your help is essential. If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support!
GOOD AFTERNOON, PORTLAND! Hang tight, friends! This showery/sunny/weirdo weather will continue through tomorrow, BUT! Expect sunny skies on Saturday! Now let’s jam on some NEWS.
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• President Joe Biden made a brief stop in Portland today to sing the praises of his administration’s infrastructure plans, which include giving $662 million for fixing up Oregon roads and $53 million dedicated to bridges. Meanwhile, across town, teenage climate activists were protesting at least part of Biden’s plan, particularly the Rose Quarter freeway expansion project that threatens Harriet Tubman Middle School and could bring about even MORE carbon emissions.
oh hey that’s us.
— Sunrise Movement PDX 🌅 (@SunrisePDX) April 21, 2022
• The city’s new water treatment facility, a major tool to reduce lead levels in some older Portland homes, started operations this week, and our Isabella has the details—plus where to order a FREE water testing kit!
• Marzieh Abedin, a former Oregon Health Authority employee, has been indicted for allegedly embezzling a whopping $1.5 million in federal COVID-19 funds that was supposed to go to getting Oregonians vaccinated.
— Taniel (@Taniel) April 20, 2022
• If you ever wonder, “What exactly is being done with all that weed tax revenue?”, well, a LOT of organizations are fighting over it. Josh Jardine explains it all for you in this fascinating article from our Cannabis Guide.
• Thinking caps on! It’s time for the newest POP QUIZ PDX, this week featuring sassy-ass trivia about sketchy emails, corpses on parade, and your choice for naming the zoo’s baby orangutan! (TOO CUTE!) 🐵😍
Attention, music lovers! The annual Record Store Day is *this* Saturday, and we have the essential picks of reissued, must-have vinyls you’ll want in your collection. https://t.co/KIOqt4xOG8
— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) April 21, 2022
IN NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL NEWS:
• In more President Biden news, he also announced he’s sending a lot of extra aid to Ukraine to assist in their war against Russia: $500 million for government operations, and $800 million more to aid their military. Meanwhile Putin is claiming victory in the Ukrainian city of Mariupol, as Russian forces surround a giant steel mill where 2,000 fighters are holding tight.
Satellite images suggest mass graves dug near besieged city of Mariupol in Ukraine https://t.co/stU2hRM4P9
— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) April 21, 2022
• Due to their flip-flopping response to Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay” legislation, Disney World is losing their special tax district in the state following a Republican vote, which could lose billions for the corporation as well as the communities around the park.
• The new and ballyhooed CNN+ streaming service—which poached anchors and bragged it would be an improved way to get one’s news—is already shutting down a month after launching after CNN’s new corporate bosses let them know they hated the idea.
A U.S. Army plane with a parachute team preparing to jump into Nationals Park as part of a pre-game ceremony Wednesday evening triggered a threat alert and prompted authorities to briefly evacuate the U.S. Capitol complex, according to D.C. police. https://t.co/yU0c22mixn
— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) April 21, 2022
• Good news: A federal judge has temporarily blocked a Kentucky law that effectively eliminated abortions in the state, as joyous clinics announced they were back in business.
Janelle Monáe has come out as non-binary (with she/her pronouns). “That opens you up to fall in love with any beautiful spirit.” https://t.co/JcQlJShC9m
— Rolling Stone (@RollingStone) April 21, 2022
• CALLING ALL PIZZA LOVERS! Your favorite week of the year is here: It’s the Mercury’s PIZZA WEEK featuring $3 specialty slices at 28 locations across the Portland area, starting NOW through Sunday, April 24! Eat ’em up!
• And finally, it’s official! CATS ARE THE ULTIMATE TROLLS.
Every single cat ever.. 😅 pic.twitter.com/zQjv2tlLvb
— Buitengebieden (@buitengebieden_) April 20, 2022