Breaking Top Featured Content:
The Mercury provides news and fun every single day—but your help is essential. If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support!
GOOD AFTERNOON, PORTLAND! First, let’s check the weather, and… oh, never mind, it’s the same as it ever was. (But we can expect some sun on Saturday!) Now let’s DO THAT NEWS!
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• Washington County District Attorney Kevin Barton is in a tight race with a progressive candidate trying to unseat him, so what lazy tactics is Barton taking? Why, demonizing the city of Portland and attempting to scare voters into believing that he’s “the only barrier keeping suburban Washington County from descending into Portland-level lawlessness.” Oh, FFS, right?? Check out this super interesting article from our Alex Zielinski for more info about this lying sack of you-know-what.
Also, shout out to Barton’s campaign team for refusing an interview because, “We are focused on community outreach efforts in Washington County using media read by Washington County residents.” https://t.co/uecsklFwjb
— Alex Zielinski (@alex_zee) April 20, 2022
• VERY MUCH RELATED: A group of wealthy Portland property owners, developers, and real estate people are pooling their money to unseat Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty while pushing the business-friendly Vadim Mozyrsky in next month’s primary election. They’re also throwing their money behind current Commissioner Dan Ryan—which is actually very helpful in letting us know who we should NEVER VOTE FOR IN A MILLION YEARS.
• Many Oregon nurses working for Providence say they’re overworked, underpaid, and have crappy health benefits, and are now threatening to strike unless management listens to their demands. The nurses plan on holding a strike vote in the next two weeks.
The growth of Oregon’s wolf population slowed significantly last year because 21 animals were poisoned by poachers, hit by cars or were killed by wildlife officials after they attacked livestock. https://t.co/yCbAwLFvtr
— OPB (@OPB) April 20, 2022
• Today in “Not a Good Look”: “Oregon has $5.3B invested in fossil fuel companies.”
• There’s a new craft CBD cocktail bar in town, and they’re doing god’s work to destigmatize cannabis. Check out our Janey Wong’s review of Hemp Bar—and then rush over and try some!
• Here’s that hot new movie everyone’s talking about:
The brilliant film “Memoria” (opening Friday at @cinema21pdx) gently builds to a finale as emotionally overwhelming as it is existentially Earth-shattering. @EclecticHutch has the review.https://t.co/PAkXqBMJri
— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) April 20, 2022
IN NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL NEWS:
• In an attempt to freak out other nations, Russia’s Vladimir Putin announced a long-range missile test, warning the rest of the world that those “who threaten our country… should think twice.” (OooOOOOooooH! I’d be scared but I’m too busy laughing about his best warship that got sunk last week!) Meanwhile, the west continues to send heavy artillery to assist Ukraine as Russia presses into the eastern portion of the country.
• The CDC—with help from the Justice Department— is seeking to launch an appeal following the overturning of their transportation mask mandate by a Trump-appointed Florida federal judge. (Whose judgements should be appealed in any and every case.)
Breaking News: The Justice Department will appeal a court ruling striking down the federal mask mandate on public transportation, at the CDC’s request. https://t.co/ZRYXkRG7p5
— The New York Times (@nytimes) April 20, 2022
• The Tennessee GOP has kicked a Trump-approved candidate off their upcoming ballot—because she apparently doesn’t meet certain requirements (which may or may not mean being approved by Trump).
• The sudden loss of 200,000 subscribers have Netflix shareholders worried, prompting the company to take aim at the customers who have been sharing passwords. Orrrrrr… maybe they should just improve their annoying and clunky interface?
“I don’t think you’re real,” an extremely sweaty Trump fumed before telling Piers Morgan he was “very dishonest.” At the end of the short clip, Trump was seen walking off after shouting “turn the camera off.” https://t.co/9pM6vXpFDf
— The Daily Beast (@thedailybeast) April 20, 2022
• Happy 4/20! Let’s support our local weed shops, and MAKE THIS HAPPEN: “Pot shop robberies are fueling calls for a U.S. banking bill.”
• CALLING ALL PIZZA LOVERS! Your favorite week of the year is here: It’s the Mercury’s PIZZA WEEK featuring $3 specialty slices at 28 locations across the Portland area, starting NOW through Sunday, April 24! Eat ’em up!
• And finally… nature strikes back.
The Boomerang tree claims another victim…🤦♂️😂🌲🪃 pic.twitter.com/aAxj97nOR8
— Fred Schultz (@FredSchultz35) April 20, 2022